Registered nurses interested in investing in the type of career advancement that triggers greater salary earning power are urged to complete a MSN degree in Indiana. According to the United States Department of Labor, in 2014 registered nurses working in Indiana received an average annual salary of $58,900. Comparably, here were the average annual salaries for selected MSN-educated nurse professions:
- Postsecondary nursing instructors and teachers: $66,990
- Nurse midwives: $76,390
- Nurse practitioners: $93,200
- Nurse anesthetists: $179,480
In fact, nurse practitioners and nurse anesthetists were offered such generous salaries they were named among Indiana’s top 30 highest-paying occupations in that year.
Salaries for Nurse Practitioners in Key Regions of Indiana
In 2014, the United States Department of Labor reported that Terra Haute was among the top ten metropolitan areas with the highest concentration of postsecondary nursing instructors and teachers in the country. At that time, approximately 80 postsecondary nursing instructors and teachers were employed here.
In addition, several metropolitan regions in Indiana boasted a particularly promising job climate for nurse practitioners. For example:
- The Indianapolis-Carmel region was among the top ten metropolitan areas with the highest employment level of nurse practitioners in the country. Nurse practitioners working here earned an average annual salary of $92,070.
- Columbus was the top paying metropolitan area for nurse practitioners in the country. The average annual salary for nurse practitioners working in this city was $146,450.
- Layette was the sixth highest paying metropolitan area for nurse practitioners in the country. Nurse practitioners employed here enjoyed an average annual salary of $126,170.
Greater Experience Equals Greater Salaries for MSN-Educated Nurses in Indiana
In 2014, the United States Department of Labor confirmed that MSN nurse salaries in Indiana were often contingent upon work experience:
Postsecondary Nursing Instructors and Teachers
- Entry-Level: $41,000
- Mid-Career: $62,300
- Experienced: $95,400
- Entry-Level: $36,400
- Mid-Career: $82,000
- Experienced: $116,500
- Entry-Level: $71,200
- Mid-Career: $90,700
- Experienced: $118,100
- Entry-Level: $113,900
- Mid-Career: $172,500
- Experienced: $187,200+
Salaries for Indiana’s MSN-Educated Nurses in Various Roles
Nurse-Anesthetists – Salary research by the United States Department of Labor in 2014 confirmed that nurse anesthetists working in the Indianapolis-Carmel division were given an average annual salary of $177,210, while those in metropolitan division of Gary took home a slightly lower average annual salary of $164,910:
Nurse Practitioners – The federal government published the following wage table to show nurse practitioner salaries can widely shift between geographic locations within the state. For instance, nurse practitioners in Northern Indiana nonmetropolitan area collected an average annual salary of $96,190, while working in Bloomington netted closer to $85,070 in 2014:
*This value is equal to or greater than $90/hour or $187,199/year. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics does not report salary data beyond this level.